One of my new favorite areas in California is SLO County. Located in this beautiful county is the historical town of San Luis Obispo, which almost halfway between Los Angeles and San Francisco and nestled between the Pacific Ocean and the Santa Lucia Mountains. There are lots of great things to see and do in the area, so here are five travel recommendations for your next trip.
1) Get your morning caffeine fix at Scout Coffee. Owned and operated by husband and wife Jon & Sara Peterson, Scout Coffee is a super cute coffee shop and the hotspot for pastries and coffee. It’s a great place to meet locals, enjoy a relaxing beverage or bring your computer to work. Their two locations are incredibly charming and offer some of the most delicious treats.
2) Hike at Montaña de Oro State Park. Located just 20 minutes from San Luis Obispo, the Montaña de Oro State Park is a stunning park where you can go for a walk, hike, bike ride or even camp overnight. The park’s rugged cliffs, canyons, plains and beautiful beaches make it the perfect place to visit all-year-round. There is also a lot of local wildlife and beautiful flora to see while you explore.
3) Grab an açaí bowl at SEEDS. Though it may also be a juice shop, SEEDS makes some of the most delicious açaí bowls I have ever tasted. Their selection of fresh fruits, nuts and seeds added to their delicious custom bases make them the best mid-day snack or healthy breakfast option.
4) Spend the afternoon at Avila Beach. You will find the cutest little oceanside community called Avila Beach just a few miles from downtown SLO. This small waterfront community (now part of the greater SLO County) is a great place to spend an afternoon. Whether you’re interested in surfing, relaxing on the beach, shopping, eating or just walking around on the boardwalk, it’s a great place to spend a few hours.
5) Go wine tasting at Wolff Vineyards. Located in SLO County’s Edna Valley, Wolff Wineyards is a family-run winery that produces a wide variety of wines including Chardonnay, Pinot Noir, Syrah and more. They have super friendly and knowledgeable staff on-site for wine tastings. You can walk around their property or even just set up for a picnic on their outdoor patio.