Since hiking is everyone’s favourite activity here in British Columbia, I have also started going on a handful of day trips across the province. Your success as a hiker can definitely be determined by the gear your wear and bring with you so I wanted to share with you today some of my current hiking essentials for the summer and fall!
1) Camelbak Hydration Pack – I loath carrying around several water bottles with me when I hike, so getting the Camelbak pack was one of the best ideas I’ve ever had. It comes equipped with 2L hydration bag as well as tons of pockets and storage to put snacks, my phone, wallet, etc. This one also comes equipped with a whistle, which is a must when you live in bear country!
2) Saje Wellness Journey On Kit – This customized Saje kit is perfect for staying energized and refreshed during those long hikes. The kit comes equipped with deodorant, lip balm, lotion and their energy remedy. It also comes in a super lightweight bag that is easy to strap onto your Camelbak or backpack.
3) KEEN Terradora boots – These lightweight boots are a must-have for any short or long hike. KEEN specifically designed these boots having women in mind making sure they fit like a glove and can be used in all sorts of terrain. The boots are also breathable and waterproof.
4) MEC Aquanator Jacket – Because you can never be sure what type of weather you’ll encounter during a hike, this MEC waterproof jacket with fully taped seams is a great layering piece to bring along. It comes equipped with underarm zips for cooling as well as adjustable cuffs and hood.
5) Stance Socks – A good pair of socks is crucial when hiking for a long time. These StancePeak Hike socks are made with merino wool, polyester, cotton and nylon fibers that help keep your feet cool, pull moisture away faster and will last you hike after hike!
Some other must-haves include: a headlamp, trail poles, bear spray/bear bell, hat, etc.
Today is Bike to Work Day! If there’s one thing I love about Toronto is that I get to bike to and from work every day at least 6 months out of the year. There’s nothing I love more than a leisurely bike ride to start off and end my work day. It clears my head and is a form of meditation for me. While I’m biking, I’m 100% in the present moment, I’m not on my phone, I’m looking around at the beautiful scenery and am fully immersed in my cycling experience. Cycling in Toronto has taught be to be a better and safer cyclist, opting to always wear a helmet, get great bike lights, etc.
I can’t think of better shoes to bike in than these UNEEK shoes by KEEN. Excited to have them on my feet throughout the summer!
Bike Month kicks off today in Toronto. For all the details, go here.
Winter is just around the corner so I’m making all the necessary adjustments to my home and closet to make sure that I’m ready for what’s bound to begin any moment now.
Last year, I decided to adopt a more positive attitude towards winter. Though I still dislike it very much, I’m trying to embrace the snow and the colder temperatures a lot more. The best way I’ve found to do so is by being outdoors and having fun in the elements.
The one thing that is an absolute must in order to fully enjoy the outdoors, is a good pair of boots. Because I’m always freezing, the warmer they are the better and they’ve got to be waterproof. So this winter, I’ll be giving the KEEN “Elsa” boot a try.
I took my “Elsa” boots with me to Whistler two weeks ago because I knew there was a good chance that there would be snow on the ground or that we’d get hit with a snowstorm while we were there. And just as I had predicted, the day we went ziplining on the mountain in Whistler Blackcomb, the station received their first real snowstorm of the season. I was beyond stoked to have those boots on my feet for my outdoor adventures.
They kept my feet nice and toasty during the three hours we were out and about going across from one peak of the mountain to another. More importantly, they also kept my feet dry! The Elsa boots are super lightweight and not as clunky as other boots I’ve worn before. And added bonus, the boots look super cute, so I was really happy to have them in-tow.
I’m now definitely more #KEENForWinter! Check my Instagram today @melsays for your chance to win a pair of KEEN boots!