Thrilled to finally announce the launch of the MELSAYS PODCAST!
My goal with this podcast is to bring to life the 5 Questions With interview series from this very website and to celebrate women. I want to give a platform and a voice to some of the most amazing women out there. Whether an athlete, an entrepreneur, an artist, a community leader or a woman with a remarkable journey. I hope that these women and their stories serve as inspiration for you the listener.
My very first episode is with mountain biker and artist, Micayla Gatto. I hope you’ll enjoy our chat!
The podcast is just one click away or you can also listen to it below. If you enjoyed our chat, make sure you subscribe to the MELSAYS PODCAST here -> iTunes and Google Play.
I first heard of SriMati, aka Julie Piatt, via her book, The Plantpower Way a few years ago but it was only in the last year and a half that I really started following all of the incredible things she has been doing. SriMati, is a mother, a yogi, a spiritual leader, a vegan chef, a podcast host and also the wife of renown athlete and podcast host himself, Rich Roll. She recently recently her latest book, This Cheese is Nuts!, and is already working on her third called The Plantpower Way; Italia, which will be released in 2018. She will also be leading her first solo retreat this October in Malta. I’m incredibly honoured to have her share some of her journey today with you all!
1) You recently released your book called This Cheese Is Nuts! to critical acclaim, why was the creation and publication of this book so important for you?
In my first book, The Plantpower Way, I included a foundational basic cheese section which contained recipes for absolutely delicious warm cashew cheese and brazil nut cream. I knew I had only scratched the surface of what I would discover would turn out to be an earth shaking evolution of what I like to call cheese 2.0. This is a kinder, gentler cheese which is in alignment with health and wellness for body, heart and spirit.
2) When did you first get interested in adopting a plant-based diet and how has it changed your life?
I began to eat more living vibrant foods when I began practicing yoga and meditation. The desire to eat meat simply dropped from me as a by product of my practice. Later I developed a golf ball sized cyst in my neck which I considered a gift and an opportunity to explore the reality of “Food As Medicine”. I found it truly was, and my body healed itself with the use of medicinal ayurvedic herbs, a lifestyle reset and largely a plant based diet.
3) You are a woman of many hats. In addition to being a vegan chef, you are also the host of a spiritual and wellness podcast called Divine Throughline, a musician and a yogi, amongst many other things. What do each of these different disciplines bring to your life?
It’s true I have always been wired in a multi -dimensional way. To me, 2+2 = 22 instead of 4. I express myself in many mediums or channels for my creativity. The reason I can do that is because I know that it is really just one thing expressing in many different ways; the force that is breathing all life.
4) In this fast-paced world that we currently live in, it’s easy to feel overwhelmed and also uninspired to create but you seem to constantly be working on new creative endeavours. What is the key for creating successfully and not letting the outside world distract you from your mission?
At this point in my journey, I understand that everything in my life is simply by the grace of the cosmic Mother. A human life is precious beyond measure and if I am here alive and in a body, then I will share my heart with all I have been given as an offering of devotion to life.
5) Meditation and mindfulness are hot topics these days. How can meditation help you navigate through every day life?
Yoga and meditation are ancient practices of connecting with life force that I have experienced to be shelter from the storm and grace in times of suffering. They are the first things. The essentials before anything else enters.
For more information on SriMati, check out her website here.