Ventura County Coast is a beautiful coastal area located just north of Los Angeles. The area encompasses Camarillo, Ventura, Oxnard and Port Hueneme. There are lots of amazing outdoor adventures that can be had in the area so I’m sharing with you today some of my favourites.
1) Go hike on Santa Cruz Island with Island Packers – Head out for a day-long adventure from Ventura Harbour to Santa Cruz Island, the largest island in California. There are 3 mountain ranges, canyons, springs and streams to explore as well as coastline cliffs, sea caves and stunning beaches. It’s the perfect place to go for a day-hike or swimming and snorkelling around their pristine beaches. It takes just over an hour to get to the island with the Island Packers boat. While on the island you will be able to spot tons of local wildlife such as birds, foxes and maybe even whales. We saw tons of local dolphins on our way there. It’s also possible to camp overnight as there are lots of camping sites available on the island.
2) Go for a run at San Buenaventura State Beach in Ventura – This multipurpose trail runs along the ocean past the Ventura pier. Along the way, you will see a few local surf spots, lots of pretty places to picnic, kitesurfers, volleyball nets as well as majestic sand dunes. The paved trail also goes past the Ventura County Fairgrounds and then connects to the Seaside Wilderness Park. You can easily park along the street close to the entrance of San Buenaventura State Beach.
3) Relax at the Residence Inn Marriott Camarillo – This luxurious property is located just a few minutes away from historic Old Town Camarillo, where there are lots of shops and restaurants to check out. The Residence Inn Marriott offers guests a wide array of amenities – they have a basketball and tennis court, a pool, state of the art gym as well as free breakfast in the morning. The hotel is the perfect place to unwind after a busy day of exploring around the area. Some rooms are even come equipped with a full kitchenette so that you can make your own meals, if you’re planning a lengthier stay.
4) Explore the Oxnard coast on a Jet Ski – Located in the Channel Islands Harbor, Southern California Jet Skis offers 1-2 hour jet ski rentals so that you can head out and explore the Oxnard coast and open ocean. Chances are, you will spot local wildlife like dolphins or even sea lions during your excursion. It’s a great way to also check out the surf at Silver Strand or off the Oxnard Shores. Once you’re done riding, you can grab a post-excursion snack at Honey Cup Café located adjacent the departure area.
5) Surf at Port Hueneme – Nestled between Oxnard and Ventura, this little oceanside community offers gorgeous sandy beaches and quality surf spots for locals and visitors alike. Port Hueneme Beach Park is a beachbreak located on the north side of the pier. It’s right by the walking and biking trails so the commute to and from the beach can be done easily.
Other activities worth checking out: Ventura Pop Up Yoga in Marina Park – outdoor donation based yoga classes, catch the sunset at Surfer’s Knoll beach, walk along the Ventura boardwalk and pier.
For more information on Ventura County Coast or more travel recommendations, go here. A big thank you to the Ventura County Coast for their help setting up this trip!