1) Drought – Located right in downtown Detroit, this new cold-pressed raw juicery is all about using local Michigan ingredients to make the best juices possible. Started with the help of a Kickstarter campaign, the four sisters behind Drought provide healthy and tasty juices for residents of Detroit and other nearby cities in Michigan. Some must-try juices: Pear, Cayenne Pepper and their Apple, Lemon, Ginger juices.
2) Republic – This is one of the most sought-after restaurants in downtown Detroit at the moment but Republic lives up to the hype with delicious and original libations and dishes. Using local and seasonal ingredients, the Executive Chef Sarah Welch creates innovative tavern-style plates that are rich in flavour and that leave you feeling satisfied. The building and decor at Republic is also quite stunning.
3) Brooklyn St. Local – This is the perfect location for a weekend brunch. Located in Corktown, this restaurant is all about supporting local growers and producers while using environmentally sustainable practices that also support community growth. The two owners, who are originally from Toronto, have created an inviting and warm place that even offers free coffee to the patrons who are patiently waiting for a table. Their homemade scones are delicious!
4) Rose’s Fine Food – This mythical diner is a place where you’ll find not only delicious and comforting food but also the friendliest staff. If you’re looking for a truly authentic Detroit experience, you must make your way to this diner. Their pancakes and donuts are an absolute must!
5) Astro Coffee – This coffee spot is a local favorite for many reasons including the variety of roasters and producers you can find at the space. They are situated right in the middle of historic corktown, making it a great place to sit and people watch or explore the area by foot with your coffee in hand.